Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Current Students

As a registered student with Student Accessibility Services, you can work directly with a counsellor, and you can access a number of different accommodations. You can use the Self-Service Portal to access accommodations, book appointments and tests, and renew your accommodations. 

Download the Student Life Agenda for help keeping organized. 

If you need help renewing your accommodations, download our instruction sheet (PDF).

If you have any questions, please contact Student Accessibility Services at 905.721.3266 or

Your Counsellor

Learning strategies counsellors play a key role in the development and implementation of the accommodation plan and they work directly with you to determine the appropriate success strategies. Your counsellor will assist with academic supports related to your disability for:

  • Assignments
  • Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) applications
  • Exams
  • Faculty communications
  • Lectures, labs, and tutorials
  • Notetaking
  • Placements or practicums
  • Referrals to other campus resources and services

When do I need to see my counsellor?

It is important to meet with your counsellor before the beginning of each semester. If you are having difficulties, you are encouraged to contact your counsellor as soon as possible. In this way, you can begin working on solutions as a team and keep issues small and manageable. 

Making an Appointment

Alternate Format Texts and Course Material

Alternate (accessible) format text is available to registered students. This may include electronic versions of print material, enlarged text or audio files. There is no additional charge to access alternate formats once you have purchased the original text.

If you require materials in an alternate format, please complete the Alternate Format Request form for each textbook you require. Please submit your request as soon as you have your book list, as it may take from a few days to a few weeks to receive the material from the publisher. Go to the Self-Service Portal to submit your request.

Assistive Technology

Some students may require special devices or software to access their course materials. An assistive technologist can assess your requirements, conduct training and provide technical support. Student Accessibility Services may have some equipment available for temporary loan while accommodation options are assessed.

Meet with your learning strategies counsellor as soon as you have confirmed your course registration so the proper technology is ready for you. You will be trained to use the assistive software included in your accommodation plan. Some commonly used software is:

  • Kurzweil 3000
  • JAWS (Screen Reader Software)
  • Dragon Naturally Speaking (Voice to Text)
  • Read&Write

You may also start immediately to use Read & Write for Google Chrome without having to meet with the assistive technologist. Download Read & Write for Google Chrome, and then go to YouTube for detailed information about the tools and features of Read & Write.

Test Centre

The Test Centre is a space where students with accommodations can write their tests, midterms and exams. Students must be registered with Student Accessibility Services and receive approval for testing accommodations before using one of the Test Centres. Returning students who plan to use the Test Centre are required to renew their accommodations with Student Accessibility Services prior to the start of each semester. Some students may qualify for the self-renewal process.


If you have any problems registering online for any reason, it is your responsibility to come to the Test Centre Office for further instructions before the sign-up deadline.

There are slight differences when booking the Test Centre for tests and midterms versus final exams. Please see below for more information. 

Tests and Midterms

Students must sign up at least seven (7) days before all tests and midterms. For step-by-step instructions on how to book your test or midterm, download the test and midterm booking instructions.


NOTE: If you know at the time of booking that you have a scheduling conflict, such as your accommodated test time and class time overlap, you must book based on the actual class test time. Next, send an email with details of your conflict to so that the accessibility services co-ordinator can follow up with your professor to make the appropriate adjustments.

Final Exams

Students must sign up at least three (3) weeks before the start of the examination period. For step-by-step instructions on how to book your exam, click the button below.


NOTE: You may register and submit exams individually or all at once. You cannot edit your selections after submission. Once you have successfully registered, you may check your scheduled exams by selecting My Schedule in the Self-Service Portal. If you have an accommodation-related conflict with the timing of your exam(s), email your learning strategies counsellor with an explanation of your conflict. If eligible, your counsellor will walk you through the deferral process. The accessibility services co-ordinator will notify you once alternate arrangements have been made.

Ergonomic Equipment

Ergonomic equipment for classroom and testing environment is available to registered students who have a physical impairment that relates to their verifies need for accommodation. This may include height-adjustable tables, ergonomic chairs, slant boards, or stools. If you require ergonomic equipment, we will work with you to include this on your individualized accommodation plan. To ensure the correct equipment is positioned in the correct campus locations in a timely manner, please email

Computerized Note taking

Computerized notetaking is available to registered students who experience any degree of hearing loss that relates to their verified need for accommodation. This may include verbatim transcription or summary style notes. If you require computerized notetaking, your student accessibility counsellor will work with you to include this on your individualized accommodation plan. To ensure the timely setup of this service, please email

Peer Note taking

Peer note taking is a voluntary service that is offered to students with a permanent disability who have “note taking” as an identified accommodation to assist in their learning. Eligible students have disabilities that may inhibit their ability to take notes due to physical on non-physical reasons.  Volunteer note takers are anonymous and they do not act as a tutor, interpreter, or reader/writer. The note taker's work supplements or provides notes for those who are unable to take notes during class. This service is not guaranteed as the program is based on volunteer uptake in each class.

Not all courses qualify for the note taking accommodation. Courses that do not occur in real-time or have no lecture/notes component do not qualify for notes, including online-only, developmental math, non-lecture courses, etc. For step-by-step instructions on how to request a peer note taker, click the button below.


American Sign Language Interpreter

American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters are available to registered students who experience any degree of hearing loss that relates to their verified need for accommodation. If you require ASL interpreters, your accessibility counsellor will work with you to include this on your individualized accommodation plan. To ensure the timely set up of this service, please email