Skip to main content
COVID-19 information and screening Learn how we’re keeping our campus community safe, healthy and engaged during our gradual return to campus.
Note: Faculty, staff, students and visitors must complete the mandatory screening questionnaire before coming to campus.
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Incoming Students

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) welcomes all new and incoming Ontario Tech University students with disabilities.  We look forward to connecting with and supporting you on your academic journey.

Please use the instructions on this page to register for accommodations through Student Accessibility Services. Here you can also access important documents and information to help you get the support you need.

Download the Student Life Agenda for help keeping organized. 

Steps for Registering with Student Accessibility Services

1. Complete the intake form.

There are two ways to submit the form:

2. Collect/complete your disability documentation.

  • Student Accessibility Services requires current documentation from a registered health care professional, such as a physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist, to provide academic accommodations. 
  • If you do not have documentation, ask your health care provider to complete the appropriate form, which you can find in the next tab.
  • If you are having difficulty connecting with a health care professional to obtain documentation, we will work with you to connect with an appropriate health care professional.

3. Send all your documentation forms to Student Accessibility Services.

  • Documentation must:
    • Confirm the disability is present, whether temporary or permanent.
    • Identify functional limitations and disability-related needs.
    • Indicate how the disability impacts or impairs academic functioning.

Once we have received your intake form and documentation, we will email you and set up the initial (intake) appointment with a SAS Counsellor, either online or over the phone.

Disability Documentation during COVID-19

SAS recognizes that students may have difficulty obtaining disability documentation during the COVID pandemic.  Non-essential health care services have been reduced and many providers are busy with urgent care.  Some assessments, like psychoeducational assessments, cannot be administered remotely.

Students seeking academic accommodation should review the SAS Disability Documentation Requirements.  Where possible, students should submit the required documentation as listed. 

While social distancing requirements remain in effect, SAS may accept documentation that may not meet the documentation requirements for on-going accommodation.  This documentation may be current or out of date and can temporarily replace the required documentation for students unable to obtain updated documentation due to COVID19.  In these cases, the following is acceptable:

  • Disability documentation in other formats (e.g., Physician letters)
  • Hospital reports, records, discharge reports
  • Individual Educational Plans (IEPs)
  • Out-of-date psychoeducational or neuropsychological assessments
  • SAS Disability Documentation Forms

Documentation accepted during COVID-19 may be sufficient to support and develop a provisional academic accommodation plan. However, it may not be sufficient to confirm that the student is a person with a disability for other purposes, including eligibility for bursaries and other programs, such as OSAP. SAS will assess each request on a case-by-case basis and will only issue confirmation when sufficient documentation is provided. 

Students are encouraged to contact our office with any questions about registration or disability documentation by emailing

Provisional Accommodation Planning

Students registering with outdated or minimal documentation may be offered provisional accommodations.  These are approved on a case-by-case and a term-by-term basis using information about the student's disability that is currently available. 

Provisional accommodations are intended to address the student's most immediate access needs while awaiting assessment or new documentation.  SAS will update and adjust student accommodation plans in a timely fashion upon receipt of new information or current documentation.  

Next Steps

If you have documentation, visit our Registration page to get started.   

  1. Have your Ontario Tech University .net email account and Network Password ready.  
  2. Submit your documentation using your Ontario Tech University .net email account to

The SAS Information Assistant will contact you about the next steps. 

Intake Form

Verification of Disability for OSAP

We strongly encourage all students to apply for OSAP disability-related funding. There are additional programs available to students who submit the OSAP Disability Verification Form. This form is to be completed by the appropriate health care professional.

Before submitting your documentation to OSAP, please retain a copy to submit to Student Accessibility Services.  You can submit the completed OSAP Disability Verification Form to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities by:

Additional documentation may be required by the university.  You can find the documentation forms in the next section.

Documentation Forms

Please read the information and instructions on the documentation form carefully and ensure they are completed in full by the appropriate health care professional. If you have multiple disabilities, please have the relevant forms completed by your health care team. Only complete the forms that pertain to your specific situation.


Severe Allergies

Students with severe allergies (food, environmental, insect, etc.) are encouraged to contact Student Accessibility Services and provide the details and impacts of the allergy. Student Accessibility Services will work with the student to develop a proactive plan to make the campus experience as safe as possible. We can also facilitate communication with staff and faculty who should be aware of the potential for a severe allergic reaction and ensure they are aware of how to respond should it occur. Please contact us at 905.721.3266 or email to book an appointment.

Suspected Disabilities and Pending Documentation

If you suspect you have a disability but are not sure or if you are in the process of obtaining documentation, a Student Accessibility Services Counsellor will assess the need for temporary accommodations and support on a case-by-case basis and can guide you towards getting appropriate documentation. Call 905.721.3266 to book an appointment.

Temporary Disabilities

Some examples of a temporary disability include:

  • acquiring a serious virus or infection
  • breaking your dominant arm or hand
  • experiencing an acute mental health crisis
  • getting a concussion
If you require assistance from Student Accessibility Services on a temporary basis, please contact us at 905-721-3266 or email to book an appointment.

If you have any questions, please contact the Student Accessibility Centre at 905.721.3266 or