Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

It is mandatory for everyone studying or working at Ontario Tech University to have health insurance coverage. 

Permanent residents and Canadian citizens are typically eligible for provincial health care plans. If you are not eligible for a provincial health care plan, it is mandatory for you to have the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).  UHIP coverage is similar to the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), the provincial health insurance plan that Ontario residents are eligible for.

UHIP coverage is compulsory for:

  • All international students.
  • All international visiting scholars and researchers.
  • All incoming exchange students.
  • Recent permanent residents.
  • Permanent residents and returning Canadian citizens in their 3-month Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) waiting period.
  • Eligible dependant family members of any of the persons above.

 To learn more about UHIP, visit or contact

Remote Learning UHIP Information

  • Students residing outside of Canada: Opt-out form

    All international students are enrolled in UHIP automatically while they are studying at Ontario Tech, unless they are eligible for an exemption

    As a result of current remote learning options, if students are studying from outside of Canada, they are no longer eligible or require UHIP.  In order to receive a full UHIP refund, eligible international students must complete the following form ONLY if they do not plan on coming to Canada for their studies. Students must complete the UHIP opt-out form before January 15th, 2021.  Students that completed the UHIP opt-out form in the fall and continue to study remotely do not need to fill this form out again.

    UHIP Opt-Out Form

    If you do not complete this form by January 15, 2021, you will be responsible for the UHIP fee for the full year.  


    Students that choose to opt-out of UHIP and then come to Canada between January 1, 2020, and August 31, 2021, must contact within 30 days of arrival in Canada and provide proof of the arrival date. At that time students will be re-enrolled in UHIP and a UHIP fee will be added to the account for the remainder of the year.

    Important: Students that opt-out of UHIP and do not inform within 30 days of arrival in Canada will be charged a late fee of $500 in addition to the UHIP fee.

  • Students residing in Canada outside of Ontario

    Due to COVID-19, more students have been studying remotely within Canada.  While UHIP members must normally reside in Ontario (or Hull/Gatineau), SunLife has adjusted UHIP eligibility to include students residing in various other provinces within Canada. 

    Students outside of the traditional coverage area whose studies remain online:

    • Are eligible for UHIP coverage the same as if they are living in Ontario/Hull/Gatineau. 
    • Have coverage for medical emergencies and medically-necessary services.
    Members are encouraged to contact if they are admitted to a hospital or need ongoing treatmentElective services outside of Ontario/Hull/Gatineau remain ineligible.


  • COVID-19 screening

    You have access to COVID-19 screening free of charge, regardless of OHIP status (unless you need the test for travel reasons). You should provide your UHIP card if asked. If SunLife (insurance provider) receives the claim, they will work with the provider to resolve the issue.


    Who pays?

    Medical services primarily for COVID-19 screening (symptomatic or otherwise) at any testing location

    This includes but is not limited to emergency rooms, campus clinics, the local testing centre, or designated pharmacies.

    Publicly-funded system

    Emergency services and hospitalization related to COVID-19 (for example, inpatient hospital and physician charges, lab work)

    Members should follow guidance from Ontario Health on when to go to the emergency department.


    UHIP insured healthcare services are limited to emergency services and charges related to hospital admission for illness related to COVID-19.

    COVID-19 testing centres (including Emergency rooms, testing centres and pharmacies) for those who are symptomatic or otherwise are paid for through the Ministry of Health, not UHIP. Testing criteria and billing/claim practices are determined by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term care, not SunLife/UHIP. View information about testing here:

    An asymptomatic person may be eligible for COVID-19  testing performed at Shoppers Drugmart. However, it would be dependent upon the criteria set by Shoppers Drugmart and/or the Ministry of Health (not SunLife/ UHIP). Another factor would also be the reason for testing, such as if it was for travel purposes, in which case this test is not covered publicly or by insurance, and you would have to pay $199 plus tax.

    If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at

UHIP Frequently Asked Questions

  • How much does UHIP cost?

    A UHIP charge is automatically added to the account of full-time international and exchange students registered in classes at Ontario Tech and paying international student tuition fees. The current fee amount can be found on the Ancillary Fees page under International Health Insurance.

    If you require UHIP, but are not paying full-time international student tuition fees, please email to determine your eligibility and ensure you are charged fees appropriately. 

  • When does my UHIP coverage begin?

    Your UHIP coverage begins on the day you arrive in Canada, but not before the tenth of the month before you start your studies/work at Ontario Tech. Students must be registered for classes to be enrolled in UHIP.

    The earliest dates your UHIP coverage can begin are:

    • Fall term on August 10
    • Winter term on December 10
    • Spring/Summer term on April 10

    If you will arrive in Canada before your UHIP coverage can start, you are responsible for purchasing adequate private health insurance until you are eligible for UHIP.

  • When does my healthcare coverage end?

    You must be studying or working at Ontario Tech to have UHIP. The UHIP period is the same as the academic year. If you are enrolled for the entire academic year, your UHIP will expire on August 31.

    If you withdraw from classes, your UHIP will be terminated. 

    If you are returning to full-time studies and paying international student fees, you will be automatically re-enrolled starting September 1 and charged UHIP fees at the rate determined for the next academic year. You must print a new UHIP coverage card every September.

  • How do I get my UHIP coverage card?

    You can print your own coverage card! There are tutorial videos on to help guide you through the process of registering for and printing your coverage card. 

    You will need the following information when registering:

    • Policy/contract number: 050150
    • Member ID: IT (+ student number)

    Carry your coverage card with you at all times in case of an emergency! Be prepared to present your UHIP coverage card every time you visit a doctor, clinic or hospital. 

    If you have difficulty registering, contact Sun Life Financial at 1.866.500.8447 Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time. You need to print a new coverage card every September that you are returning to Ontario Tech.

  • Where can I use my UHIP?

    Visit the UHIP website to find a doctor, hospital, or clinic on their Preferred Provider Network. These health care providers have agreed to accept UHIP coverage cards and directly bill Sun Life. You are recommended to use the Preferred Provider Network whenever possible. 

    If you must go to a doctor, hospital, or clinic that is not a Preferred Provider, you may be required to pay upfront and then submit a claim to be reimbursed. You should bring a claim form with you which is available on the UHIP website.

    Other clinics are:

    • The Campus Health Centre:  located in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Centre on the North campus of Ontario Tech. They are not only conveniently located, but also accept UHIP. 
    • Lakeridge Health -  is one of the largest community hospitals in Ontario with five hospitals, regional services, and community locations.
    • Ontario Clinic Group The Oshawa Clinic Group is located close to downtown Oshawa. Their Urgent Care Clinic provides acute care on a walk-in basis.
    • Telehealth Ontario: A free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    • The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)is Canada's most research-intensive hospital and the largest centre dedicated to improving children's health in the country.  
  • Does UHIP cover vaccines?

    UHIP covers the cost of administering a vaccine at the UHIP rate.  All members should check with their drug coverage provider to confirm whether the vaccine’s drug cost is eligible for coverage. 

    Please note: UHIP covers the total expense for routine childhood vaccines.

    International students and their dependents living in Ontario can receive their flu vaccine for free under the publicly-funded system from pharmacies, public health clinics, and community clinics.  

    IMPORTANT: Some physicians may provide this service for a fee.

  • What is and isn’t covered by UHIP?

    UHIP is a basic emergency health insurance plan similar to OHIP. If something is not covered by UHIP (like prescription medicine), it may be covered by the Student Union's dental and health benefits plan.

    For general information on your UHIP coverage, visit For specific inquiries, call Sun Life at 866.500.8447.

  • Why do I have/need two health insurance plans?
    UHIP covers costs like hospital visits and doctor services. The Student Union's health and dental benefits plan covers costs like prescriptions, dentist visits and travel. The two plans work together to give you comprehensive coverage. Become familiar with what is covered under both of your plans and make sure you carry your two coverage cards with you.
  • How do I make a claim?

    If you paid upfront or were billed for services covered by UHIP, you will need to make a claim to UHIP. Information on how to make a claim, what is covered under UHIP and how to set up direct deposit can be found at Check the website's Help centre for guides or call Sun Life Financial at 866.500.8447 for help.

    Make sure you keep copies of your claim form and all receipts for your own records before you mail anything to Sun Life.

  • How do I add a dependent such as my spouse or children?

    If your spouse and/or children are accompanying you while you study/work at Ontario Tech, they must have health insurance just like you. To add your dependent (spouse or children) to your UHIP, email You must include your full name and your student number in your email.

    You will have to pay a $500 late fee if you do not enroll them within 30 days of their eligibility. There is no discount for the time they had no coverage if you enroll them late.

  • Can I opt out of UHIP?

    It is mandatory for everyone in Canada that is studying or working at Ontario Tech University to have health insurance coverage. This is why all international students are enrolled in UHIP while they are studying at Ontario Tech unless they are eligible for an exemption. 

    There are a limited number of exemptions from UHIP. If you are a government-sponsored student, a World University Services of Canada (WUSC) student, or a Mitacs student, you may be eligible for an exemption. See for information on exemptions. 

    If you are exempt from UHIP, it is very important that you use your alternative health insurance plan and not UHIP. If you use UHIP, you will be responsible for UHIP premiums. 

    If you are an Ontario Tech student studying in Canada and are not eligible for an exemption, you must be enrolled in UHIP.

  • I am not eligible for UHIP, what are my other options?

    If you are not eligible for UHIP and do not have provincial health insurance, it is your responsibility to research your options and buy a health insurance policy that meets your needs. The following list is meant only as a reference tool to help you start your search. It is not an endorsement by Ontario Tech.

  • I am a part-time student. Can I get UHIP?
    Part-time students are eligible for UHIP if they were full-time in the past for a maximum of six terms of part-time studies. If you are a part-time student, you will not be automatically enrolled or charged UHIP fees. You must contact to be enrolled and charged appropriate fees. Be sure to include your full name and student number in your email.
  • I am going on a co-op/internship. Can I still have UHIP?