Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Co-op work permit

Student networking at a job fairIf you are an international student in a program requiring experiential learning such as a co-op, internship, practicum, or placement, you will require a co-op work permit. A co-op work permit is not the same thing as a study permit and cannot be used in lieu of a study permit. You are responsible for keeping the original co-op work permit and ensuring it is valid. 

Learn more about co-op
and internship opportunities

Applying for a co-op work permit

Once you have received the letter of enrollment from the university you can apply online through your MyCIC account on the Immigrations, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You must have your co-op work permit prior to starting your work term. It is highly recommended to apply for your co-op work permit at the beginning of the semester prior to your work term. Do not wait until you have a job offer. For example, if your work term starts in the winter semester (January), it is recommended to apply for your co-op work permit in the fall semester (September).

You can apply for your co-op work permit during one of the following times:

  • With your initial study permit application.
    • You can use your Offer of Admissions letter as long as it’s valid and it states “Internship/Work Practicum: Yes”.
  • With your study permit extension application.
  • Separate co-op work permit application.

Preparing for your work term

Six weeks before your work term begins, email with your full name, student number, and information on any eligible dependents you have. This is to ensure you are eligible, enrolled and charged the appropriate fees for University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

Frequently asked questions