Skip to main content

Arrival documentation

Once you have received your offer of admission and letter of acceptance from our university, you will need to get your study permit. Exchange students visiting for less than six months may not require a study permit. You may also need to get a visa. 

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. Learn more about the study permit.

A temporary resident visa (TRV) is a visa sticker placed inside your passport that allows you to enter or re-enter Canada.  To find out if you require a visa visit the Immigration and Citizenship website

Depending on where you are from, you may require both a TRV and a study permit.

Immigration status

There are three main categories of people in Canada: citizen, permanent resident, and temporary resident. A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally allowed to enter and remain in Canada for temporary purposes. As a temporary resident, your immigration status might be one of the following:

  • student
  • temporary resident permit holder
  • visitor 
  • worker

Depending on what you want to do while in Canada, you would need a different temporary resident status document. For example, you might need a study permit, work permit, temporary resident visa (TRV), visitor record, or a temporary resident permit.

Prepare your documents

Have all of your important documents translated into English and bring copies (it can be very expensive to have this done in Canada).

Carry the following documents with you on the plane so you can show them to the examining officer or immigration official at Canada Customs and/or at your port of entry. 

Required documents

    • A valid passport and/or government-issued identification (travel document).
    • Temporary Resident visa (also referred to as a Canadian entry visa) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Find out if you need a visa.
    • Documentation for your family - If your family is joining you to Canada, ensure they have the right documentation before entering Canada.
    • Letter of introduction - confirming your study permit was approved.
    • Letter of Acceptance from Ontario Tech University (University of Ontario Institute of Technology).
    • Proof of adequate funds for your stay in Canada. Learn more about proof of financial support.
    • Any other documents recommended by the visa office that processed your study permit application.
    • Birth certificate.
    • The address of the place you will be staying (temporarily or permanently).

Suggested documents

    • Driver's license (especially if you intend on getting a Canadian license) and driving history
    • Immunization record 
    • Prescription drugs, medication, and glasses (if applicable) 
    • Medical report - recommended in case you need them 
    • Marriage certificate and/or proof of common-law status (if applicable)
    • Electronics 
    • A list, in duplicate or digital copies, of all items you are bringing with you to Canada, including the approximate value of each item and serial numbers, where applicable.

This information and more can also be found on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Study in Canada page.

Download a document checklist (COMING SOON)