Skip to main content

Study permit

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. In general, foreign nationals need study permits to study in Canada if they intend to study a course or a program for more than six months.

Ontario Tech University Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is O19315945002. The university’s legal name is the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

Who is exempt from a study permit?

A foreign national can study without a study permit in Canada under the following conditions:

  • Duration of course or program of studies is six months or less and will be completed within the period of stay authorized upon entry into Canada.
    • Example: if visiting on exchange and only studying at our university for one semester (four months).
  • Only engaging in distance-learning courses.
  • Auditing courses (typically by sitting in on an academic course, but without obtaining credit for it, or having the ability to obtain credit for it retroactively).
  • Minor inside of Canada. Visit IRCC to determine if you or your children(s) are considered minors, and are eligible to study without a study permit.

To learn more about who needs a study permit and who does not, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  

Study permit conditions

As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. To maintain your student status you must:

  • Be enrolled at Ontario Tech University.
  • Hold a valid study permit.
    • Follow the conditions of your study permit.
  • Show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:

For more information, you can refer to the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website (IRCC).

Frequently asked questions