Skip to main content
COVID-19 information and screening Learn how we’re keeping our campus community safe, healthy and engaged during our gradual return to campus.
Note: The university’s mandatory vaccine directive is now in effect. Learn more about vaccine requirements.
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

International documentation

Once you have received your offer of admission and letter of acceptance from our university, you will need to get your study permit. Exchange students visiting for less than six months may not require a study permit. You may also need to get a visa. Throughout your time at Ontario Tech, some of these documents may need renewal or extensions.

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. Learn more about the study permit.

A temporary resident visa (TRV) is a visa sticker placed inside your passport that allows you to enter or re-enter Canada. To find out if you require a visa visit the Immigration and Citizenship website

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for travellers from visa-exempt countries who fly to or transit through Canada. This visa will be valid for five years or until the passport you used to apply for your eTA expires. To find out if you require a TRV or eTA to enter Canada, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Depending on where you are from, you may require both a TRV and a study permit.

Immigration status

There are three main categories of people in Canada: citizen, permanent resident, and temporary resident. A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally allowed to enter and remain in Canada for temporary purposes. As a temporary resident, your immigration status might be one of the following:

  • student
  • temporary resident permit holder
  • visitor 
  • worker

Depending on what you want to do while in Canada, you would need a different temporary resident status document. For example, you might need a study permit, work permit, temporary resident visa (TRV), visitor record, or a temporary resident permit.

A permanent resident is not a Canadian citizen. They hold passports from other countries and remain citizens of other countries though they are also no longer temporary residents in Canada. Permanent residents have more permanent status in Canada, which includes the right to receive many social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage, the right to live, work, or study anywhere in Canada and the ability to apply for Canadian Citizenship.

Learn more about permanent resident status on the Government of Canada website.

Prepare your documents

Have all of your important documents translated into English and bring copies (it can be very expensive to have this done in Canada).

Carry the following documents with you on the plane so you can show them to the examining officer or immigration official at Canada Customs and/or at your port of entry. 

Required documents

  • A valid passport and/or government-issued identification (travel document)
  • Birth certificate
  • Documentation for your family - If your family is joining you to Canada, ensure they have the right documentation before entering Canada
  • Letter of Acceptance from Ontario Tech University (University of Ontario Institute of Technology)
  • Letter of introduction - confirming your study permit was approved
  • Proof of adequate funds for your stay in Canada. Learn more about proof of financial support
  • Temporary Resident visa (also referred to as a Canadian entry visa) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • The address of the place you will be staying (temporarily or permanently)
  • Any other documents recommended by the visa office that processed your study permit application

Suggested documents

    • A list, in duplicate or digital copies, of all items you are bringing with you to Canada, including the approximate value of each item and serial numbers, where applicable
    • Driver's license (especially if you intend on getting a Canadian license) and driving history
    • Electronics 
    • Immunization record 
    • Marriage certificate and/or proof of common-law status (if applicable)
    • Medical report - recommended in case you need them 
    • Prescription drugs, medication, and glasses (if applicable)

This information and more can also be found on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Study in Canada page.


Disclaimer: The information on this page is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up to date information.