Skip to main content
COVID-19 information and screening Learn how we’re keeping our campus community safe, healthy and engaged during our gradual return to campus.
Note: Faculty, staff, students and visitors must complete the mandatory screening questionnaire before coming to campus.
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Study permit

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. In general, foreign nationals need study permits to study in Canada if they intend to study a course or a program for more than six months.

Ontario Tech University Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is O19315945002. The university’s legal name is the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

Who is exempt from a study permit?

A foreign national can study without a study permit in Canada under the following conditions:

  • Duration of course or program of studies is six months or less and will be completed within the period of stay authorized upon entry into Canada.
    • Example: if visiting on exchange and only studying at our university for one semester (four months).
  • Only engaging in distance-learning courses.
  • Auditing courses (typically by sitting in on an academic course, but without obtaining credit for it, or having the ability to obtain credit for it retroactively).
  • Minor inside of Canada. Visit IRCC to determine if you or your children(s) are considered minors, and are eligible to study without a study permit.

To learn more about who needs a study permit and who does not, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  

Study permit conditions

As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. To maintain your student status you must:

  • Be enrolled at Ontario Tech University.
  • Hold a valid study permit.
    • Follow the conditions of your study permit.
  • Show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:

For more information, you can refer to the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website (IRCC).

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Incoming students

Current students

  • How can I extend my study permit from inside of Canada?
    If you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a study permit from within Canada and your study permit is still valid, follow the step-by-step instruction guide below. You can apply to extend your study permit 3 to 4 months before it expires.

    Note: Your study permit will not be issued past your passport's expiry date. If your passport will expire soon, extend your passport before you apply for your study permit extension.

    To apply for a study permit within Canada, follow the step-by-step instruction guide below.

    Study Permit Application Instruction Guide
  • How can I restore my status from inside of Canada?

    If your study permit expires before you apply for a new permit, you have lost your immigration status and must apply to restore your status. To restore your status, you must apply for your new status document (study permit) within 90 days of your old document expiring.

    To apply for a study permit within Canada and restore your status, follow the step-by-step instruction guide below.

    Study Permit Application Instruction Guide for Restoring Status

  • What documents do I need for my study permit extension?
    1. Verification of enrollment letter. Double check the expected date of graduation is correct.  If this date is incorrect, ask the Registrar's office or the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies office to perform an audit of your courses and create a more accurate expected date of graduation for you. You can receive this letter by the following methods:
      1. Undergraduate students: This can be obtained on your MyCampus account. You can find the instructions on how to find it on the Registrar's Office.
      2. Graduate students: Fill out the form on the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website
    2. Financial supporting documents. Refer to the IRCC website to find what are acceptable financial supporting documents
    3. You may need biometrics or medical exam .
    4. Scan your study permit and passport together. You must provide a copy of the bio-data page (the page with your name, date of birth, passport number, expiry date, etc.) and a copy of every page in your passport that has stamps, visas, or markings from Canada. 

    Document requirements may vary from person to person. Create or login to your MyCIC account (online applications) or refer to the Instruction Guide (paper applications). 

  • What is a letter of explanation and should I use one?

    A letter of explanation is a way to communicate to an immigration officer any additional information or documents that deem important for them to know. It could include:

    • Additional employment history if you have run out of space in your application.
    • Issues you would like to clarify or that the officer might find useful.
    • Supporting documents, screenshots or any other proof to support your explanation.
    • The purpose of your application.

    Upload this document under 'Client Information' in the 'Optional Documents' section of your online checklist. A sample of the format can be found below.

    Download a sample letter of explanation

  • What do I do if I applied for my study permit before it expires but I haven’t heard back from IRCC yet?

    If you applied for your study permit extension before your study permit expires and you have not received a decision from IRCC about the status of your application, this waiting period is called "implied status". You can keep studying under the same conditions during this period.

    It is recommended not to leave the country under "implied status". If you do decide to leave the country, you may lose your student status once you return back into Canada.

  • What if I change post-secondary institutions?
    You are not required to have a new study permit for the new post-secondary institution. If your study permit is still valid for the new institution, then you are required to change your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number online once you have transferred. You can continue to use your current study permit as long as it is valid. This application is free of charge and must be done online.
  • What if I want to take a leave of absence or take a gap year from my studies?

    If you are thinking of taking a leave of absence or to take a gap from your studies, please visit your International Student Advisor as soon as possible. You can read more about what is considered an authorized leave of studies on Your conditions as a study permit holder in Canada website.

  • What if I am on academic suspension?
    If you are on academic probation or suspension, please contact your International Student Advisor as soon as possible as this can impact your immigration status.  When students are placed on academic suspension, they are no longer enrolled and cannot apply for readmission to the university for at least two semesters (see the university's Academic Regulations for details on probation and suspension policies).
  • What if there is a mistake on my study permit?

    You can amend your study permit if there is a mistake on your study permit. For example, if you’re eligible to work in Canada but your study permit does not state that you “may work” or “may accept employment”, then you can amend your study permit before you work or get your Social Insurance Number

    You can amend your study permit through a paper application. To amend your study permit within Canada, follow the step-by-step instruction guide below.

    Study Permit Amendment Application Instruction Guide

  • What happens if I do not comply with immigration regulations?
    According to R221, a study permit will not be issued to a foreign national who has worked or studied in Canada without authorization or to a foreign national who previously had a permit and failed to comply with the conditions of their permit (e.g. remained in Canada on their permit while not enrolled at a designated learning institution).

Disclaimer: The information on this page is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up to date information.