Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Refer a Student

User statistics show many students use our help based on their professors' referrals. We appreciate the support of faculty and staff recommending and promoting our services to their students. Below you will find some of the different supports and services that you can refer your students to, with some information on when to refer your students to us.

Academic Support

As a professor, TA or academic advisor, it is common for students to approach you when facing academic challenges. Many students benefit from academic skills development, and the Student Learning Centre offers several support options whether a student needs individual help or prefers learning within a peer group. For support specific to writing services, please complete the Writing Services Referral Form.


You may refer a student for academic support when they express the need to:

  • Develop study strategies and time management skills.
  • Develop writing and editing skills.
  • Enhance English language skills.
  • Improve test/exam preparation/anxiety.
  • Review and/or practice a difficult concept taught in class.
  • Review prerequisite knowledge to build a better foundation in a particular area.
  • Work with a tutor or become part of a regular study group.

Career Counselling

Many students look to their professors and academic advisors for direction and guidance on what to do next. If you work with students who are feeling anxious and stressed about their next steps after university, career counsellors can be an excellent resource. 

Refer a student to career counselling

Some common reasons to refer students to career counselling include:

  • Coping with stress and anxiety related to career next steps.
  • Coping with pressure from other people about what they “should” do.
  • Feeling unmotivated in school, class or their program of study.
  • Having interests that don’t match their degree. 

Equity and Inclusion

The equity and inclusivity advisor is an on-campus staff member who provides space on campus for students to share their lived experiences in a confidential manner as well as offering support to those who seek to disclose incidents involving marginalization, discrimination or harassment. They also can work with students to develop and facilitate programs, policies, initiatives and communication material that aim to educate on and create awareness about equity, inclusivity, consent, human rights and social justice.

Refer a student to equity and inclusion

Some common reasons to refer students to the equity and inclusivity advisor include:

  • Feeling as though they have been discriminated against.
  • Feeling as though they have been harassed.
  • Feeling as though their human rights have been violated.
  • Needing a space to connect with regards to aspects of their identity (a few examples may include their race, religion, sexuality or gender identity).
  • They have an idea for equity-related events, initiatives or programming.

Mental Health Counselling

If you are concerned about a student's mental health and well-being, you can make a referral to Student Mental Health Services. Visit the Supporting Student Mental Health page to find more resources for staff and faculty regarding warning signs and referrals.

Refer a student to Mental Health Services

Some common signs that a student is in need of mental health support:

  • Displaying extreme disorganization or inappropriate content of written assignments.
  • Expressing thoughts of despair or harm to self or others through submitted work/email.
  • Missing classes, labs, assignments and exams.
  • Showing a significant decline in the quality of academic performance or class participation.

Peer Leader Program

All incoming students to the University are matched with a peer leader, who is an upper-year student mentor from their respective program and faculty. Upper-year students who think they would benefit from a Peer Leader are also welcome to 'opt-in' to the program. Staff and faculty members at the university may be connected with students who would benefit from a peer mentor, and can easily refer students, in any year of study, to the Peer Leader Program at any time throughout the academic year.


Peer leaders can support their student mentees by:

  • Answering students’ questions about the university and life as a student.
  • Sharing their own experience as a student with their personal academic journey.
  • Providing referrals to services and resources available to students on campus.
  • Sharing information about campus events and activities on campus.
  • Offering encouragement and guidance throughout the year.