Skip to main content

Get support

For students who have experienced sexual violence or domestic violence, services are available to support you. Through these services, you will be heard, believed and assisted in going through the options that are available to you. As a discloser, you will be in charge of decisions regarding how you want to address your concerns and will be empowered and supported in any decisions you make.

If you are a staff or faculty member at the university looking for support, please visit our Resources for Staff and Faculty page.

Students who specifically experience sexual violence can make an appointment with a Support Worker by contacting:


Support Workers provide support to students who have experienced sexual violence by providing a safe and confidential space for disclosing their concerns and obtaining help.

Support Workers are experienced counsellors who are available to work with students to provide support, assistance and accommodations and help address concerns. They can:

  • Provide therapeutic counselling to those that have been affected by sexual violence and/or domestic violence.
  • Help you understand the university's policies, procedures, and available reporting options.
  • Arrange workplace and/or academic accommodations, including safety planning.
  • Provide referrals to other support services, including campus or community counselling, advocacy, and medical services.
  • Manage the flow of information between departments and offices.

To learn more about the Support Worker team, visit the Support Workers Team page.

Director, Human Rights Office: The Director of the university's Human Rights Office provides complaint resolution support on matters related to workplace violence, sexual violence, human rights, discrimination and harassment.  Email to arrange a confidential meeting.

Student Mental Health Services: Provides professional, short term individual counselling and therapy, referrals for students who require long-term counselling or therapy, wellness activities and initiatives, support groups and mental health consultations for students, staff and faculty.  

Campus Health Centre: To support a healthy lifestyle, the Campus Health Centre provides confidential health care services, which include a medical clinic, a pharmacy, and alternative health care services.


Campus Security: Campus Security is responsible for the safety and security of all students, university employees and campus property. This service is provided 24 hours per day, 365 days per year by security professionals trained in first aid and CPR.  Contact Campus Security and a security officer will respond immediately and contact emergency services if required.

905.721.8668 ext. 2400 
For immediate assistance: 905.721.3211 (24 hours)

Equity and Inclusivity: a confidential service that acts as the first point of contact for students that have experienced discrimination and/or harassment to provide information, referrals, and support. They will listen to your concerns and help review the options to have your concerns addressed.

905.721.8668 ext. 2324

Indigenous Student Services: The Baagwating Indigenous Student Centre provides counselling services and promotes indigenous ways of healing.

905.721.8668 ext. 6795

Ontario Tech Student Union - Student Rights and Advocacy: All students have guaranteed rights and the Ontario Tech Student Union want to ensure all students are aware of them. The Student Rights and Advocacy Coordinator provides free, confidential advice and offer assistance with petitions, hearings, and complaints. 

905.721.1609 ext. 3986

Emergency and Crisis Services

Durham Regional Police Services: If you or someone you know is are in immediate danger, call 911.  For all other safety issues please use the number below. 

Phone number: 1.888.579.1520 (non-emergency)

Distress Centre Durham: Provides a 24/7 crisis line for anyone to access and operates other services including Prideline Durham which provides emotional support, crisis intervention and community referral information specific to the concerns and issues faced by the LGBTQ community.

Phone number: 1.800.452.0688

Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres:  Their 24-hour phone lines offer someone immediate to talk to, crisis counselling, support and information for support allies (i.e. parents, partners or friends of survivors). More services included are: safety planning, information on victim police reporting and medical options, and strategies for coping with flashbacks, memories and feelings. Visit their web page to find the phone number specific to your location.

Durham Rape Crisis Centre:  24/7 Crisis and Support Lines offers confidential and nonjudgmental support and information to anyone that has experienced any form of sexual violence in their lives. Family, partners or friends supporting a sexual violence survivor may also call the line for support. 

Phone number: 905.668.9200

Toronto Rape Crisis Centre: offers support for anyone who identifies as a survivor of violence, including trans people, non-binary folks, cisgender men and women and youth. They offer a 24/7 crisis line, individual and group counselling, court support, support groups, advocacy and more.

Phone number: 416.597.8808 (24 hour crisis line)

Support Services for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse: Provides help for male survivors of past or recent sexual abuse, both recent and historical. The program is the first of its kind in Canada and is delivered by agencies across the province. Survivors also have access to a 24-hour, multilingual, toll-free phone line for immediate crisis and referral services. The program is the first of its kind in Canada and is delivered by agencies across the province. 

Phone number: 1.866.887.0015

Good2Talk is a free confidential helpline for post-secondary students in Ontario which provides professional counselling, information, and referrals on a range of matters, including sexual violence. 

Phone number: 1.866.925.5454, Text GOOD2TALKON to 686868

Combined Services

Barbara Schlifer Clinic: Provides counselling, legal information, interpreters, and referral for women who have been physically or sexually abused.

Phone number: 416.323.9149

Driven: Supports women experiencing abuse and/or any form of gender-based violence at one location in North Oshawa by providing coordinated access to a range of specialized services. 

Phone number: 905.432.7233

Durham Rape Crisis Centre: Provides a 24/7 crisis line, as well as support and counselling for women, 16 years and older, who have experienced sexual assault or abuse recently or in the past. They offer individual and group counselling, police, legal, and medical accompaniment and more.

Phone number: 905.668.9200

Toronto Rape Crisis Centre: offers support for anyone who identifies as a survivor of violence, including trans people, non-binary folks, cisgender men and women and youth. They offer a 24/7 crisis line, individual and group counselling, court support, support groups, advocacy and more.

Phone number: 416.597.8808 (24 hour crisis line)

Assaulted Women’s Helpline: Provides Free, anonymous and confidential counselling, safety planning, emotional support, information, and referrals as well as a helpline available 24/7 in over 200 languages.

Phone numbers: 416.863.0511 and 416.364.8762 (TTY)

The John Howard Society: Operates the Sex Trade Housing Support program that assists sex trade workers in the Durham Region who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness. It is inclusive of youth, adults, persons with disabilities, persons with addictions, mental health issues, and persons involved with the criminal justice system and victims of domestic violence. An individual who occasionally trades sex for cash, shelter, etc. may not view themselves as a sex trade worker; however this person is still eligible for the program.

Phone number: 905.244.2602

One in Six: Offers outreach, education and services in person and online to men who have experienced sexual violence and their support systems. Some online services include 24/7 online support and anonymous online support groups.

Victim Services of Durham Region: Provides crisis response, intervention and prevention services immediately following a crime or sudden tragedy. Services are free and confidential. 

Phone number: 905.721.4226

Counselling Supports

Family Service Toronto: Provides professional, short-term, individual, couple and family counselling for people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer (LGBTQ+).

Phone number:416.595.9618

Fem’Aide: Offers French-speaking women facing gender-based violence, support, information and referrals to services in their community 24/7. They will also address inquiries from relatives of women victims of violence.

Phone number: 1.877.336.2433

Paths of Courage Residential Healing Centre: A one-of-a-kind program, pioneered by the Sexual Assault Centre for Quinte & District. This one-week program is free of cost and provides assault survivors with opportunities to heal, transform and become empowered, while surrounded by nature.

Phone number: 613.476.7000

Legal Supports

Office of the Attorney General – Victim/Witness Assistance Program: Provides crisis intervention, emotional support, court preparation and orientation information, referrals to community agencies. and  These services are targeted towards the most vulnerable victims and witnesses of violent crime including, but not limited to, sexual violence. Services begin once police have laid charges and last until the court case is over. 

Phone number: 1.888.579.2888

Sexual Harassment and Assault Resource Exchange (SHARE): Supports those who have experienced sexual harassment or assault at work. SHARE provides free, confidential legal advice to workers about all their options to help them make informed decisions about legal steps, if any, they can choose to use to address their experience. SHARE provides legal advice, referrals, outreach and education. SHARE services are available to all workers in Ontario regardless of age, income, and immigration status. 

Phone number: 1.866.625.5179 or 416.597.4900; press option eight for SHARE or option six for Indigenous Services

TTY: 416.597.4903 or 1.866.612.8627; press option eight for SHARE or option six for Indigenous Services

Housing Supports

Bethesda House: Provides temporary safe shelter, with woman-centred advocacy, outreach, and other services to women, youth and children, supporting them to live free from domestic abuse.

Phone number: 905.623.6050

Herizon House: Provides free, confidential services 24/7 including temporary shelter, support and advocacy for abused women and their children located in Durham and Clarington Regions.

Phone number:1.866.437.4066

Luke’s Place: Devoted to improving the safety and experience of abused women and their children as they proceed through the family law process. By offering individual and group support, free Summary Legal Advice Clinics, virtual legal aid clinic for women in remote communities and more are available.

Phone number:1.866.516.3116

Muslim Welfare Centre: A transitional shelter for Muslim women and their children that provides counselling as well as medical, legal, employment and housing referrals. Also provides three meals per day.

Phone number: 905.665.0424

The Denise House: Provides a safe house for women and their children who are fleeing violence. In addition to temporary shelter, they provide counselling, information, referrals, and transitional support. Transportation to Denise House is available when needed from rural areas in the Durham Region.

Phone number:905.728.7311

Health Services

Durham Region Sexual Health Clinics: Provides a wide variety of sexual health services including, but not limited to, condoms, PAP tests, low-cost birth control, pregnancy testing, HIV testing/counselling, free STI treatment and sexual orientation, gender identity and relationship counselling and referrals.

Note: No Ontario health card is required to access services. Various locations including Oshawa, Pickering and Port Perry. Visit their web page to find contact information for the location closest to you. 

Lakeridge Health Oshawa – Durham Region Domestic Violence/ Sexual Assault Care Centre: 24/7 emergency medical services for adult victims of sexual assault up to one-week post-assault and for children under 16 years of age up to three days post-assault. Also provides counselling for victims over 12 years of age who have been assaulted within the past year as well as safety planning, support and referrals for victims of domestic violence.

Phone number: 905.576.8711 ext. 33286

The John Howard Society: Operates the Women’s Drop-In program which provides women involved in sex work in the Durham Region nutritious meals, hygiene products, laundry, shower, counselling and support, safety planning and harm reduction supplies.

Phone number: 905.244.2602 

Supports for Youth and Children

Durham Children’s Aid Society: Provides services to children under 16 years of age and their families located in Durham Region. Available 24/7 to report any concerns about a child who may be at risk.

Phone number: 905.433.1551

Sick Kids’ Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect (SCAN) Program: Care, support and assessment to children and teenagers who may have been maltreated, and their families.  The SCAN Program provides a link between SickKids and community doctors and hospitals, Children's Aid Societies, police, schools and other community agencies.

Phone number: 416.813.6275

The Gatehouse: The Gatehouse offers support groups for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse as well as partners.

Phone number: 416.255.5900

Whether or not you wish to report on an incident of sexual violence is your choice.  Help and support are available to you regardless of whether you choose to report or not.  There are different ways you can report an incident of sexual violence or domestic violence and we recognize that the process of choosing your own path can be overwhelming and confusing. The Support Worker can provide more information and help you to decide what route, if any, would be the most appropriate for your situation. At no point will you be required or pressured to make a formal report.

On-campus reporting options

Informal reporting at Ontario Tech

You can connect with a Support Worker who can help you select an option to meaningfully address the incident of sexual violence and/or domestic violence. These options may or may not involve other parties depending on the resolution you seek.

Formal reporting at Ontario Tech

A formal report is where there is a formal written request for the university to investigate and address an incident of sexual violence.

Option 1. You can connect with a Support Worker who can provide assistance in submitting an incident report.

Option 2. You can submit an incident report on your own to the Case Manager. 

Connect with the Case Manager.

Reporting in residence

Students are encouraged to seek support from their Residence Advisor, the Residence Outreach Worker, Residence Life Coordinator, or Residence Life Manager.

Off-campus reporting options

Going to the hospital

If you've been affected by sexual or domestic assault, you may be interested in seeking medical attention. Get more information on what to expect when going to the hospital following a sexual assault.

Reporting to the police

The Support Worker can answer questions about the process if you decide to report to the police. 

Reports can be made to the police in an effort to pursue criminal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada. However, it is not guaranteed that the perpetrator will face charges or be found guilty, even when you know they are. 

If you report an incident of sexual or domestic violence, police will take your statement, investigate the matter, and determine if there is enough evidence to lay charges. It is the police who lay charges, and not the individual who reported or experienced the violence. The police and the Crown will require your participation in what can become a public process. If the matter proceeds to court, you will likely be called to testify.


Tenants who have experienced sexual violence and/or domestic violence can end their tenancy in 28 days if they believe they or a child living with them may be harmed or injured if they don't leave the unit. Tenants can give this notice any time during their tenancy. Get more information on the tenancy process.

Before disclosing, you have the right to ask about the level of confidentiality you can expect from the person you are disclosing to.

If you choose to disclose to a Support Worker, your confidentiality will be guaranteed, and will be maintained if the need arises for them to consult with other individuals and offices at the university with your explicit consent to disclose information.

In rare instances, the university may be required to take some action without your consent. In these situations, you will be informed and supported throughout the process. Some examples where this can happen where:

  • There is an immediate threat of physical harm to yourself or someone else in the university community.
  • You have been subjected to sexual violence by someone employed by the university (for example, faculty, staff, and others).
  • Reporting is required by law (for example, the suspected abuse of someone under 16 years of age, or to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act).