Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Incoming Students FAQ

Registration FAQ

  • How do I register with SAS?
    Please visit the New to Our Office page on our website for more information on how to register with SAS.
  • Does it cost money to register with SAS?
    No! You will not be charged any cost to receive support from Student Accessibility Services. However, as part of the documentation process some health care providers may charge a fee to complete the Documentation of Disability form, or complete an assessment. 
  • What documentation do I need to register?

    Please visit our New to Our Office page for more information on accepted forms of disability documentation.

  • Can I bring a support person into meetings with SAS?
    We know the transition to the Post-Secondary environment can be challenging, and we encourage you to take the lead on your academic accommodations. However, we welcome parents, caregivers or support persons at the first meeting with SAS to help determine first steps. We also have a Summer Transition Program (STP) where there will be a parents night so your parent, caregiver or support person can connect with others and ask all their questions. Plus you’ll get to meet other registered students!
  • How do my accommodations get decided?

    The development of an academic accommodation plan is highly individualized and based on an in-depth understanding of a student’s functional limitations related to their disability. Your accommodation plan will be determined after a careful review of the information and recommendations related to functional limitations that was provided by a registered health professional. These plans can be changed or updated as needed based on your symptoms with supporting medical documentation. An intake appointment will be booked between the student and an Accessibility and Accommodations Specialists (AAS) to review disability documentation and recommended accommodations. 

  • How do I tell my professor after I'm registered?
    Through the intake/accommodation renewal process, your accommodation plan will be emailed directly to your professors. 
  • Does my registration with SAS show up on my transcript?
    No, a student’s involvement with accessibility services and the fact that the student has received academic accommodations will not be identified on the student’s official university records, test results, academic transcripts, or graduation documents.
  • Do I need a new assessment to get support?

    Students may require an updated Psychoeducational Assessment (PEA), Neuropsychological (NEURO), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or other physican or registered health professional assessment to confirm a disability diagnosis, depending on how recently their last assessment was completed. Students are encouraged to book an appointment with an SAS Specialist to review their existing documentation together and determine what next steps (if any) are required.

    If you have been diagnosed with a Learning Disability/Disorder:
    Provide a copy of your last psychoeducational assessment. Ideally this assessment was completed within the last five years or with adult norms (you were at least 18 years old when you were tested); however, we will accept older assessments as a starting point to register with our office. If you graduated from an Ontario secondary school in the last five years, you can request a copy of your psychoeducational assessment from your high school.

  • How will I pay for a new assessment?
    If you are Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) eligible you may qualify for a bursary (BSWD) to cover some or all of the cost. If you are not OSAP eligible, you may qualify for a sliding scale fee for service rate based on income. If you need an updated assessment, discuss this with your SAS Specialist at your intake appointment to determine what options are available to you. For more information on applying to and/or managing OSAP, please contact our Student Awards and Financial Aid office.

Managing Accommodations FAQ