Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

If you would like to update your name or gender designation with the university, read through these frequently asked questions to get more details on the process.

Graduation and alumni

Human Resources

  • If I am working at the university, do I need to contact Human Resources to let them know about changes to my name?

    Changes to your name will be updated with Human Resources only if you make a legal name change. Many of the documents used through a work placement will be used in conjunction with the government, like the Canadian Revenue Agency. Because of this, it's important that the name on your student record matches the legal name that is used in your government identification. 

    Once you complete the Name/Gender Change form and it has been processed, your new legal name will be updated automatically with Human Resources.

Legal gender designation change

Legal name change

  • Are there any impacts if the name on my student record is different from my legal name?

    It’s important to make sure that the name used on your official student documentation matches your legal name.

    Your legal name is what will be used on your official university documentation. It’s important that this name matches the legal name used by other official organizations, like OSAP or the Canada Revenue Agency. 

    If you legally change your name and do not update your student record, the name on your transcripts or tax receipts, for example, may not match the name used by other organizations like OSAP or health insurance providers. This may lead to outside organizations not accepting your university documentation or requiring further proof that your university student records or documents are legitimate. 

    Read these instructions on how to update your student record with your new legal name.

    A chosen name is the name you use, that is not your legal name. Updating your chosen name will not alter the legal name used on official university documents and records, due to legal restrictions. We understand that this can create barriers for trans students. If you would like support navigating things like applying to graduate school or to jobs when your preferred first name is different from your legal name, please reach out to the Student Development Specialist - Equity Programs for support.

  • Can I change my middle name?

    If you have legally changed your middle name, you can have it updated when you submit your Name/Gender Change form.

    You can also choose to remove your middle name from your student record under the chosen first name section on the Name/Gender Change form. 

  • Do I need to let Student Awards and Financial Aid know of the new legal name on my student record if I’m receiving OSAP?

    It is important that the legal name on your student record matches the information you share with the government. This includes if you are currently receiving OSAP or another form of government financial aid. 

    To inform our Student Awards and Financial Aid department of a change to the legal name on your student record, contact

  • How do I make a legal name change?

    A legal name change is completed through the government. 

    To apply for a legal name change, you will need to follow the procedures outlined in your home province or country. If you are from Ontario, visit the Service Ontario website for details on how to apply for a legal name change


  • How long will it take to have my legal name updated on my student record?
    The length of time for processing a change of name is usually three working days. During peak times, it may take longer.
  • What documentation do I need to update my legal name on my student record?

    If you have legally changed your name, you will need your original change of name certificate, a piece of updated government ID and your completed Name/Gender Change form.

    With this documentation, you can complete the Name/Gender Change form found on MyOntarioTech under the Current Students section.

    It can take up to three working days to process your documentation. During peak times, it may take a bit longer than usual.

    Your confidentiality is of the highest importance to us. You can update your record online, or if you would prefer to make an appointment, please contact Mhairy McLachlan, Manager Information and Client Services.

    If you ever feel as though you are experiencing discrimination or harassment while at Ontario Tech and would like additional support, please contact our Student Development Specialist - Equity Programs.

  • Where is the Name/Gender Change form?
    You can find the Name/Gender Change form on MyOntarioTech under the Current Students section.
  • Where will my legal name appear when I update it?

    Your legal name is the one used on official university documents and records, such as:

    • Confirmation of enrolment
    • Degree parchments and certificates
    • Graduation letters
    • Reports to government
    • Transcript 

    Other areas within the university that can be updated with your legal name change include:

    • Alumni card
    • Canvas
    • Class list
    • Email display name
    • MyOntarioTech
    • Student campus card
    • Student email 
  • Who can I talk to about updating my legal name on my student record?