Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Trans resources

Transitioning is a uniquely personal experience. We are committed to treating you with respect and dignity and want to provide a safe and comfortable environment that allows you to reach your full academic potential.

The resources found in these pages will provide you with options to make changes to your student record so it better reflects who you are. We recognize that this may or may not include a name or gender change. In the event that you do want to change your name or gender, learn how to start the process by updating your student record.

Hormone Replacement Therapy, along with counselling and education about choices related to medical gender transition, is offered through our university. Contact our Campus Health Centre for more information.

Your confidentiality is of the highest importance to us—you can update your record online. If ever you feel as though you are experiencing discrimination or harassment while at Ontario Tech University and would like additional support, please contact If you have questions and comments about equity and inclusion student-related education, support or training, please contact the Student Development Specialist - Equity Programs at

For more information on our official Gender Designation policy, please visit our Change of Gender Policy page.

Updating your Student Record

Updating your Student Record

Legal Resources

Legal Resources

To make a legal name change or a legal gender designation change in Ontario, you will need to have a commissioner to complete your application. A commissioner can include:

  • A member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.
  • Clerks, deputy clerks and treasurers of local municipalities.
  • A lawyer entitled to practice law in Ontario.
  • Provincial judges and justices of the peace.

There are several free legal offices in the Greater Toronto Area with commissioner services available, such as:

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have feedback regarding the Trans resources provided, please submit your comments through our feedback form.