Skip to main content

Changing your name

The university recognizes that some students prefer to be addressed by names other than their legal first names. For this reason, the university permits you to designate a chosen name that may be used wherever possible throughout your study period.

A chosen name is one by which a student is normally addressed, that is not their legal first name.

For example:

  • A student’s legal name is William Joshua Roberts, and the student normally goes by their legal middle name. This student’s chosen name is Joshua.
  • A student’s legal first name is Janson, and the student normally goes by Jay. This student’s chosen name is Jay.
  • A transgender student was assigned the name Jason when she was born. This student feels that this name does not reflect their gender identity and prefers to be called Jenny. This student’s chosen name is Jenny. 
  • Bingwin Lee is an international student from China who prefers to be called Becky. This student’s chosen name is Becky.

A chosen name can currently be used on:

  • Alumni card
  • Canvas
  • Class lists
  • Ontario Tech Ucard

Chosen names will not appear on official university documents such as your transcript and degree parchment. You may change, delete or alter your chosen name at any time throughout your study period.

We are committed to treating you with respect and dignity, and want to provide a safe and comfortable environment that allows you to reach your full academic potential. We recognize that students may want to change their chosen name for a variety of reasons and are committed to supporting you as you go through this process. 

If you are a trans student with questions about any of this information, please visit our trans resources website.

If you have any questions as you go through the process of changing your chosen name, please contact:

Adding or removing a chosen name

You can add or remove a chosen name by completing the appropriate section of the name/gender change form (found on MyOntarioTech, in the personal information area) and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar for approval. You are only permitted to submit a chosen first name. Your legal last name remains the same unless you submit a name/gender change form accompanied by official documentation. If you would like to remove your middle name, please indicate this on the form.

Documentation is not required for this request, however, you must upload a copy of your Ontario Tech Ucard when submitting the form.

The university reserves the right to remove or deny, with or without notice, the use of a chosen name if it is used for inappropriate purposes including, but not limited to, misrepresentation, avoiding legal obligation, or the use of offensive or derogatory language.

Changing your legal name

Your legal name is the name used on official university documents and records such as:

  • Confirmation of enrolment
  • Degree parchments and certificates
  • Graduation letters
  • Reports to government transcript

To change your legal name, you must complete the name/gender change form and provide official documentation. This form is found on MyOntarioTech in the personal information area.

Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Birth certificate
  • Change of name certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Passport

The change of name form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar along with the required original documentation.