Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Resources for Students

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) supports students with disabilities who require accommodations as legally required by the Ontario Human Rights Code. The university is committed to facilitating accommodations for students with disabilities, which can include: accommodated testing arrangements, assistive technology and one-on-one support. Students can access these services by going to the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Portal

Other campuswide resources include: 

If you cannot find your answers on this page please contact SAS by phone at 905.721.3266 or by email at

Student Accessibility Services (SAS)

  • What services does SAS offer?

    SAS offers a number of services through Student Life including:

    • Accommodated testing in our Test Centre (and virtually)

    • Alternative formats of course materials

    • Assistive Technology training and support

    • Computerized note taking (CNT)

    • Ergonomic equipment

    • One-on-one support

    • Peer Coaches to help with scheduling, study skills and more

    • Sign Language Interpretation (ASL) 

  • Does it cost money to register with SAS?
    No! You will not be charged any cost to receive support from Student Accessibility Services. However, as part of the documentation process some health care providers may charge a fee to complete the Functional Abilities Form (FAF), or complete an assessment. 
  • Can I bring a support person into meetings with SAS?
    We know the transition to the Post-Secondary environment can be challenging, and we encourage you to take the lead on your academic accommodations. However, we welcome parents, caregivers or support persons at the first meeting with SAS to help determine first steps. We also have a Summer Transition Program (STP) where there will be a parents night so your parent, caregiver or support person can connect with others and ask all their questions. Plus you’ll get to meet other registered students!
  • What accommodations will I receive?
    The development of an academic accommodation plan is highly individualized and based on an in-depth understanding of a student’s functional limitations related to their disability. Your accommodation plan will be determined after a careful review of the information and recommendations related to functional limitations that was provided by a registered health professional. These plans can be changed or updated as needed based on your symptoms with supporting medical documentation.
  • How do my accommodations get decided?

    An intake appointment will be booked between the student and SAS Specialist to review disability documentation and recommended accommodations. The accommodation plan is then developed in collaboration with the student after discussing how their disability affects their ability to engage in academics.

    You can book your intake with SAS through email or phone:
  • I am starting in September. When should I book my intake appointment?
    Intake appointments can be booked anytime based on our Accessibility and Accommodations Specialists’ (AAS) availability. Please email to book your appointment.
  • Do you offer any orientation program or transition programming?

    SAS invites incoming students with documented disabilities to attend the Summer Transition Program. Students who have previously attended these workshops feel better prepared and are more successful in the first few months of university. In addition to providing an opportunity to interact with other new students, this program will help you to understand the real differences between high school and university, learn about self-advocacy and how to use your strengths, and interact with key staff who can provide academic and learning support.

  • How do I tell my professor after I'm registered?
    Through the intake/accommodation renewal process, your accommodation plan will be emailed directly to your professors. 
  • How often can I get support from SAS?
    The frequency of appointments with a student's Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is determined in a collaborative way, based on your needs. This includes support from Assistive Tech, your Accessibility and Accommodations Specialist and the Test Centre. 
  • I am transferring from another post-secondary institution, will I receive accommodations?

    You can schedule a new intake appointment with a Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Advisor.


Disability Documentation

  • What if I have multiple diagnoses? What form should I have my doctor fill out?
    Choose the documentation form that most applies to the functional limitations you experience most frequently. Your medical professional can list all other diagnoses on the same form as well as the impacts of those diagnoses. You can complete multiple forms if you feel that that is necessary to provide all the relevant information, though this is not required.
  • I already have an IEP!
    If you had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in high school, it is recommended that you make an appointment with an SAS Accessibility and Accommodations Specialist to review your IEP. You will need additional documentation regarding the diagnosis listed in your IEP (for example, a psychoeducational assessment). If you do not have additional documentation, your SAS Specialist can advise and support you in getting what you need. Interim accommodations may be provided while additional documentation is obtained.
  • Do I need a new assessment to get support?
    Students may require an updated Psychoeducational Assessment (PEA), Neuropsychological (NEURO), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or other physican or registered health professional assessment to confirm a disability diagnosis, depending on how recently their last assessment was completed. Students are encouraged to book an appointment with an SAS to review their documentation together and determine what next steps (if any) are required.
  • How will I pay for a new assessment?
    If you are Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) eligible you may qualify for a bursary (BSWD) to cover some or all of the cost. If you are not OSAP eligible, you may qualify for a sliding scale fee for service rate based on income. If you need an updated assessment, discuss this with your SAS Specialist at your intake appointment to determine what options are available to you.

Campuswide Services